obey-robots.txt
Onderwerp bekijken
Gebruik je een eigen ADSL(2+) modem/router, post hier je ervaringen.
 Onderwerp afdrukken
ADSL or VDSL modem?
sardaukar
Sorry for posting in English, if it's against the rules feel free to remove the post.

I subscribe to KPN's internet service in Hilversum, but I think the modem (789vn) is kinda sucky and USB content sharing doesn't work. I plan on buying a new modem and access point.

Will an ADSL2+ modem work? Or do I need a VDSL one? My downstream is only 14Mb, so an ADSL2 modem would work too... right?

Thanks for any replies!

Codemeister
We prefer Dutch (as the forum is Dutch), though English is fine by me.
Did you subscribed to only internet or a package?

sardaukar
Just internet. KPN's 16Mb service, I believe.

Thanks.

kpntester

sardaukar schreef:
Just internet. KPN's 16Mb service, I believe.

Thanks.

Hi,

Could you post your line statistics from the modem? They're accessible by a web interface at 192.168.2.254 (username: kpn, password: none). In that interface there is a possibility to switch from Dutch to English (click "en" at the top of the page). By means of those statistics I can quickly look for you what kind of modem you will need (because there are technology differences like VDSL/ADSL or PSTN/ISDN).

I agree with you on the modem they supply. It's completely locked down by KPN. Even simple things like port forwarding usually don't work when you configure the modem.

In case you're on a VDSL service (and that's even possible when you only have 16 Mbit/s) it isn't that simple to connect your own modem since the login details are not known yet. If you're connected by plain ADSL it is quite simple to use your own modem.

Thanks.

Codemeister
You only need the username and password for the modem. This will be used to connect to the internet. As far as I know, the username is 'kpn@direct-adsl' and the password is 'kpn'.

TokkieTokkie
Even simpeler, just fill in anything you like, if it's incorrect KPN wil redirect you to an page (vang-pagina) with the correct login details

kpntester

TokkieTokkie schreef:
Even simpeler, just fill in anything you like, if it's incorrect KPN wil redirect you to an page (vang-pagina) with the correct login details

Yeah, but first of all he needs to find out whether he is connected by VDSL or ADSL (sometimes they put you on VDSL even when on a 8 or 16 Mbit plan) and if he is using ISDN or PSTN.

If it is ADSL you could use settings like this:
http://kpn.uberfail.nl/eigen-modem
Pay attention to the VPI/VCI part and that they use PPPoA.
Gewijzigd door kpntester op 15 oktober 2010, 19:28

sardaukar
Thanks for all the help, guys! Much appreciated! Smile

Codemeister
No problem at all! Closing the topic.

Deze website gebruikt Awin affiliate links en Google advertenties, om deze service voor iedereen gratis te houden.
Spring naar forum:
Nieuw onderwerp Antwoorden
Gebruik BBcode of HTML om naar; 'ADSL or VDSL modem?', te verwijzen!
BBcode:
HTML:
Vergelijkbare onderwerpen
Onderwerp Forum         Laatste bericht
V12 modem en nordVPN Snelheid Snelheid : 3 22 apr 2023
probleem met linksys wrt54g2 1 na update van adsl naar vdsl Routers : 1 16 okt 2017
Airport extreme en kpn modem Algemeen : 2 24 mrt 2017
Over van KPN Glasvezel (met eigen router/switch) naar ADSL KPN met eigen modem/router : 2 08 mrt 2017
VDSL verbindings probleem FEC errors 100 per minuut KPN Internet Storing : 4 09 mrt 2015
Advertentie